Monuments, tourist visits
|CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA|
|He is oldest existing in the city, with three gothic ships of the s. XIV and very altered in the XVIII that added to a ship in the side of the epistle and the present facade to him, of remarkable beauty and perfect arrangement due to Laurean Villanueva. In its interior there is an excellent baptismal battery with Renaissance reliefs, of Italian origin, and a good table of the Saints Juans, gothic, of the transit of century XV to the XVI and that possibly it comprised of the altarpiece centered by the table of the crucifixión of the Provincial Museum, attributed both to the Teacher of Alicante by Camón Aznar.|
MUSEUM DE LA ASEGURADORA
Visits mornings and late, except Monday. Opened of 10,30h to 13.30 h and 18h 21h. Entered frees. In front of the church of Santa Maria is the museum "Collection of art of century XX", also denominated Museum Sempere, in tribute to the Painter Eusebio Sempere, who donated to this institution his valuable pictorial collection. In this museum works take shelter of important modern artists, like Picasso, Dalí, Watched, Gray Juan, Tápies, Canogar, Creek, Sempere, Braque, Chillida, Genovés, etc. A peculiar sculpture of ceramics of Arcadio Blasco is exposed representing a hornacina in form of space capsule. The museum is located in a building of century XVII. "the Insurer", destined initially to the cereal deposit. It is considered like one of the older civil buildings of the city and, before becoming museum, it was used as institute of education average and professional school of commerce.
|CONCATEDRAL DE SAN NICOLÁS.|
It was constructed from principles of s. XVII on a previous temple,
ruined. In her several architects acted successively and the work continued during a century. Its style is classic without
concessions, trusted the perfect proportion much more that in a ornamentación, nor that the one of capitals and frisos replaced by smooth
bands in rebound.
Next to the concatedral, in the street Nuns, a magnificent building of ashlar masonries of great dimensions rises that, in its day, was Real School of the Companies of Jesus. Constructed at the beginning of century XVIII, it has a sober style, with a simple and worthy and at the same time elegant cover. To the being expelled the jesuitas by Carlos III, the Agustinas Mothers became position from the convent, in 1790. Next to one of the two doors there are two ceramics representing the Painful one and San Agustín..
| More representative building of the city.
Constructed in baroque style, constructed in 1668, later reconstructed when suffering a fort bombing of the French square in 1691.
the facade consists of three bodies very defined. In the inferior part are five doors, the central door this flaqueada by two salomónicas columns,
festooned of garlands and six returns.
In the second floor, 12 balconies with one are contemplated worked blacksmith shop. The third plant, this formed by 12 windows of Rococo style.
On the central door one is carved in white marble the shield of Alicante. Two towers of 35 ms of height each one, are located in each one of the ends
of the building, providing to the set a harmonic and majestic aspect. In one of these towers is a great clock. In the later part the beautiful COVER
can be admired, one of most significant of the baroque alicantino.
In the interior we were, in the first place, with an elegant perron that leads us to the municipal dependencies. In the first step of this perron is the indication that indicates the origin of the leveling of the heights of all the Spanish territory on the level of sea. A white marble tablet, located in the first landing of the stairs, reproduces the Real Certificate of Fernando the Catholic, granted to Alicante the title of city in 1490. It deserves to visit the small chapel of the city council, with baroque and paved altarpiece with ceramics of Manises, as well as the blue hall, scenery to the best isabelino style in the occasion of the visit of Isabel II to the alicantino city council.
In this hall is the gallery of pictures of the mayors of the city, the hall the plenary session is presided over by a carpet with the shield of Distributed by the diverse rooms of the city council are interesting pictorial works of Padilla, Goatherd, Amorós, etc.
|PROVINCIAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM||Web of Provincial the Arqueologico Museum of Alicante|
|Located in the old hospital of San Juan de God, building of noble bearing inaugurated in 1931, within the neoclasicista style. the museum presents/displays collections of provincial archaeology, from the first human earth presence alicantinas to the Low Average Age, being the series most remarkable those of the Age of Bronze, Iberian culture, with excellent samples ceramics and sculptures (s. IV to J.C.) and of Roman time. It also conserves a rich collection of popular ceramics of s. XVI to XIX and some decorativas legacies of art, between which it emphasizes the Beltrán collection of the Key. By the halls and corridors of the palace one is exposed the provincial pinacoteca, with good samples of local painters from principles of s. XIX, of Spanish painting of the decade from the 50 to the 70 and of contemporary alicantina painting. In the same building and employee of the Provincial Corporation, the Institute of Alicantinos Studies has its seat, that foments the investigation and diffusion of local subjects and that it has an abundant collection of painting and sculpture of contemporary alicantinos authors.|
|CASTLE OF SANTA BARBARA|
| Schedule of the elevator: April-September, of 10h to 19,30h. Octubre-Marzo; of 9h to 18,30h
Located in the summit of the Benacantil, on the sea, it offers the possibility of contemplating the city of Alicante from the height. oldest, than in his present state it is work of s. XIX, very recovered and repristinado in some points. From very old it had character of military strength, raised by the Arabs, step later to dominion of Castilian, Aragonese, French, English, Austrias and borbones.
|The castle of Santa Barbara baptized thus by king Alfonso X the Wise person, after it to have conquered to the Arabs day 4 of December of 1248, festividad of Santa Barbara, consists of 3 levels. First it corresponds to the superior part of the castle and is oldest of all. Still part of the wall raised at Arab time is conserved. Of the medieval stage one conserves the Turret, the Room of the tower of the English, etc. In the Room corresponding to the engineer park is the Museum of them Fogueres de Sant Joan, where they are possible to be appraised ninots pardoned of the fire. Also there is a small medieval Museum in the Noble Room. In the second enclosure qualified by the Austrias, is the hermitage of Santa Barbara, constructed in 1812. Other constructions of this enclosure are the house of the governor, the quarter of Felipe II, the tower of Batalla, mazmorras, etc. In the third level, lowest of the castle, is the part built at the most recent time of the Borbones. In the front door in the lowest part of the castle there is a shield, in stone, with the arms of the city of Alicante.|
|CASTLE OF SAN FERNANDO|
Very destroyed, and included in a park, it was raised without getting to finish, for the War of Independence. Located in the hill of the Tossal. Constructed in 1809 for the defense of the city as opposed to to the possible French invasion.
LUCENTUM. City Ibero-Romana.
| The old Alicante, developed from an Iberian town. It is located in the superior part of an elevation (Tossal) of 38 ms of height next to the sea, in the district of the lagoon. He is one of the more important archaeological deposits of the Valencian Community that Histo'rico-Arti'stico Monument was declared in 1961. Integra conserve all the urban surface (30,000 m2). Their origins are located at the end of s. V or principles of the s. I SAW to C.
|MONASTERY OF SANTA FAZ.|
To little km of the city, very venerated because it conserves one of linen cloths of the tradition of the Verónica and to which goes in romería following Thursday to the Week of Passover. Getting up in 1766, after to have demolished has previous in 1748.
The facade has one double cover of levantino baroque style. The main cover, that gives access to the monastery, has three body: door, window and hornacina. The door is flanked by double columns, one corintia and another salomónica. the interior of the church has Latin cross plant. the altarpiece, coming from the previous monastery, is of Renaissance style. The appraised object more of this monastery is the relicario, made in gold and silver, that is after the greater altar, in a small hexagonal chapel with profuse decoration barroca and diverse allusive drawings to miracles of Santa Faz.
|It is the point more known the city. One extends parallelly to the sea. Its pavement this formed by 6.600.000 marble stones of three colors: ivory, red and black. In the center of the Esplanade is an audience, where popular concerts are offered||
|PLAZA DE LOS LUCEROS|
|Located between Alfonso X the Wise person, General Marva, Federico Grove and Avenue of the Station. Also call seat of the horses. The monument that adorns the seat is a modernist work of Daniel Bañuls and consists of a great source crowned by four feminine figures that represent the province of Alicante allegorically|
|Constructed in 1847, with the representation of the Guzmán work the Good one of Don Antonio Gil de Zarate. Its cover is of neoclassic style, with six dóricas columns that maintain a triangular fronton.|
[Back], [Photos], [Alicante City], [Gastronomy], [Holiday Rental], [Holiday], [Transport], [Women], [Sports], [Job], [Shopping]
www.alicante-live.com - Copyright